Three more are being considered.
Lawyer Wan Shahrizal Wan Ladin filed the application to consolidate all six suits on behalf of the buyers this morning.
Out of the six, Judicial Commissioner Datuk Zaleha Yusof had, in chambers, agreed to consolidate two suits with the initial one, pending a decision on the remaining three.
Once the court has consolidated the suits, the case would proceed as one.
Aside from the six cases, other buyers are expected to also file in fresh suits.
Zaleha said she would fix a hearing date to allow new suits to be filed by other applicants.
A spokesman for the house buyers, Mohd Sabri Abu Seman, said the abandoned project had affected over 1,000 people.
“We were told that we have six years from the supposed date of completion (2003) to take action before it’s too late. Since the project was abandoned, no party has come forward to offer us (house buyers) any compensation.”
On April 24, 2007, 130 house buyers had sued the Selangor government, the Kuala Selangor Land Office and housing contractor Bumi Circle Sdn Bhd, for failing to deliver their houses.
The house buyers sought special damages amounting to RM3.9 million and RM10.1 million in general damages.
They are also asking for compensation for other damages, interest, relief and legal costs incurred after the defendants failed to complete the housing project by 2005.
Since then, five other suits have been filed by more house buyers.
The house buyers claimed that in 1997, the Land Office had distributed brochures and application forms, encouraging the public to apply for plots of land to build houses under the State government’s Kampung Bukit Kerayong expansion scheme.
Four types of development projects were offered under the scheme, ranging from bungalows, double-storey houses and shoplots for prices between RM138,000 and RM150,000 each. The project, on a 216-acre land, was named Desa Kerayong Indah.
The house buyers claimed they had made pleas and exhausted their avenues in getting the project, which was abandoned in 2002, to proceed.
They also sought the help of the Selangor government but their efforts proved futile. Their houses were abandoned, with some at the initial stage of construction while others remained vacant plots.
Some of the completed houses were even stripped of electric wires, window panes and other construction materials by thieves.
Sumber : Malay Mail